[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 918: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 918: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Friendly Atheist Forums • View topic - Would you be an atheist without the internet?

Would you be an atheist without the internet?

Would you be an atheist without the internet?

Postby Jasen777 on 13 Jan 2009 4:57 am

For us ex-theists - do you think you would be an atheist today if the internet did not exist? Think about not only your direct experience with the internet, but also the internet's wider impact on society.
"A god that can murder a whole planet can lie about salvation." - The Parish
Jasen777
Too Friendly?

I am a/an: Ignostic

Re: Would you be an atheist without the internet?

Postby Huxley on 13 Jan 2009 3:26 pm

Do you therefore think the internet is creating atheists?

It doesn't seem to bother Islam much.
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.
Huxley
Too Friendly?

I am a/an: Agnostic Atheist

Postby mojo2501 on 13 Jan 2009 7:59 pm

The internet has certainly reinforced my athiesm...but I've been a non-believer since 1985....waaaay before the internet....blame it on a Culture and Personality course in Anthropology. And sitting next to a guy I had a crush on...Howard...my first introduction to athiesm and discussing religion in any sort of objective way. (Howard already had a girlfriend but his ideas and ways of thinking took root and stuck long enough to keep me following this "crooked" path to this very day. ;) )

I would just say that the internet is the perfect forum for discussion...dialogue and beyond. Athiesm is easier to discuss and reflect upon in this way...I would certainly have a hard time finding like-minded people without this sort of access. But I'd still be an athiest regardless of the internet!
I'm not superstitious, I'm just a little stitious. Michael Scott
mojo2501
Friendly Old-Timer

I am a/an: "Strong" Atheist

Postby sexorcista on 14 Jan 2009 12:30 am

Jasen777 wrote:For us ex-theists - do you think you would be an atheist today if the internet did not exist? Think about not only your direct experience with the internet, but also the internet's wider impact on society.
Love that question!

Answer: NO...I have been a non believer for years - before the internet came into existence.

Eek! Yes..folks...there was a time before the NET.

Thinking back on that time...I think there were probably more atheists (non church goers) around Australia during that time than there appears to be now. (check the stats..not they are reliable for this question anyway).... When I left church and therefore home...it was very easy for me to slot into non christian life. In fact 'christians' during that time were thought of as being 'weird'...Umm...and some types were even purposely avoided by the general population ie/ Mormons/SDA's etc. People used to laugh at the Hare Krishners banging around the city street but other eastern religions weren't that obvious unless you were part of that culture. Immigration has impact on religious participation.

I guess that's a totally different experience of America society?

For me...being a non believer or an atheist apart from the NET has been a non event - no big deal and not a topic for much conversation. ...its like..."SO what'...
Zombies Unicorns Devils Sea Monsters Satyrs Six Winged Angels, Gods Demons Witches Astrologers A walking & talking snake Magical fruit Talking donkeys human headed beasts Ghosts. All that is in the Bible and yet they tell me it"s not mythology?
sexorcista
Friendly Old-Timer

Postby hoverFrog on 14 Jan 2009 10:03 am

sexorcista wrote:Yes..folks...there was a time before the NET.
And Tim Berners-Lee said "Let there be an agreed communications protocol" and lo there was. Vint Cerf did say that there really should be mail on that thing and lo, there was mail.

I'm definitely for a polytheistic system here. There's more than one Father (of the Internet).

As a method of communication and dissemination of information there is nothing quite so effective as t'internet. I think that it is fair to say that without exposure to ideas people do not adopt them.
"Religious freedom should work two ways: we should be free to practice the religion of our choice, but we must also be free from having someone else's religion practiced on us." -John Irving, novelist (b. 1942)
hoverFrog
Friendly Moderator

Postby sexorcista on 14 Jan 2009 3:39 pm

hoverFrog wrote:
sexorcista wrote:Yes..folks...there was a time before the NET.
And Tim Berners-Lee said "Let there be an agreed communications protocol" and lo there was.

As a method of communication and dissemination of information there is nothing quite so effective as t'internet. I think that it is fair to say that without exposure to ideas people do not adopt them.
:D yeah but people do sometimes have the odd unique idea without that 'exposure'.

For me that's a problem with the net. The information is so replicated therefore it becomes boring - over and over the same stuff gets shunted around on billions of blogs and webs. I think in many ways people become somewhat competitive online to be one of the first with the 'news' or some bit of info that they think others cannot live without.

Anyway...I think for christianity in general its been an evolution of format. The advent of the Online Ministry...The 'just send us money' people and for others it could be seen as a lazy arse way to meet your 'witnessing' quota without leaving your house. It is a very cost effective method.......and I gather heaps and heaps of people have been sucked in. Given that the 'internet' or its use is very addictive....people are often 'hooked' into belief systems that are not 'healthy' - the hell and brimstone 'ministries' are doing well, not to mention the christian advertising.

Back to atheists....
Generally writers do well out of the net. Richard D has almost achieved rock star status. Umm...the other american dude Sam Harris also enjoys a 'following'. I don't swallow everything idea or line .....
I think for me....personal observations and experiences inform rather than following the 'written word' as much of christianity had done with its devotion to the 'bibble'.
Zombies Unicorns Devils Sea Monsters Satyrs Six Winged Angels, Gods Demons Witches Astrologers A walking & talking snake Magical fruit Talking donkeys human headed beasts Ghosts. All that is in the Bible and yet they tell me it"s not mythology?
sexorcista
Friendly Old-Timer

Postby Jasen777 on 14 Jan 2009 8:07 pm

Huxley wrote:Do you therefore think the internet is creating atheists? It doesn't seem to bother Islam much.
I think it helps. Besides the practical aspects, the internet has made us us more connected to other cultures than ever before, promoting pluralism and indirectly atheism. Islamic countries are less connected to the interenet, and not to mention, the penalty for deconverting from Islam is quite harsh and alot of countries.

A couple of key points of my deconversion happened due to the internet. It's likely I would not be an atheist now without the internet. I think I would still get there though, but it would have been a longer and more painful experience.
Jasen777
Too Friendly?

Postby Jasen777 on 14 Jan 2009 8:10 pm

sexorcista wrote:For me...being a non believer or an atheist apart from the NET has been a non event - no big deal and not a topic for much conversation. ...its like..."SO what'...
It's certainly different in the Bible Belt.
Jasen777
Too Friendly?

Postby happycynic on 14 Jan 2009 8:36 pm

I came into my atheism through introspection and just sitting and thinking during church, so the intertubes really didn't have anythying to do with it. I do credit them for raising my awareness about how atheists are treated nation/world-wide, and exposing me to a veritable feast of intellectual musings (once i found this site and was able to avoid the belligerent weirdos ;) ).
"Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful, without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

--Douglas Adams
happycynic
Too Friendly?

Postby sexorcista on 18 Jan 2009 5:44 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
sexorcista wrote:For me...being a non believer or an atheist apart from the NET has been a non event - no big deal and not a topic for much conversation. ...its like..."SO what'...
It's certainly different in the Bible Belt.
Oh yeah...it would be tough.

I think no matter where you are in the world - the same kind of constriction and lack of freedom / alternatives can be felt within a christian - evangelical / bornagain / fundy family.
Family life can be like a jail term. At least that's been my observations.
sexorcista
Friendly Old-Timer

Postby Huxley on 19 Jan 2009 10:51 am

I think there can be no doubt the internet exposes you to far more argument than the relative amount of books you can read.
Huxley
Too Friendly?

Postby digitalsaint on 21 Jan 2009 1:33 pm

I was a cowed non-believer prior to the internet.
I've always been a bit of skeptic, though for awhile I really tried to be believer (blame it on a girl).

But that was also in the south, and so I think it was a matter of survival (or at least reduced anxiety) to remain quiet about my at-the-time agnosticism.

Since the advent of the internet, and the ability to commune with like minded skeptical folks I've found a much more confident voice. The one thing I've always envied believers is that sense of community.

So I've come out of the closet (as it were) since the internet. It's given me a louder voice, and more confidence in asking tough questions.
digitalsaint
Friendly Newbie

Postby Neon Genesis on 27 Jan 2009 7:15 pm

| might not be an atheist if it wasn't for the Internet. If it wasn't for the Internet, I wouldn't have had all the support I've had from my online friends during my deconversion from fundamentalism which ended with me deconverting to atheism. Almost everyone I know offline is a fundie and so I don't have many people who I can be open with about my thoughts but I have lots of online friends who love me for who I am and who I can turn to them for support. So, if it wasn't for my online friends to help me with my grappling with religion, I might not be an atheist today.
Neon Genesis
Too Friendly?

I am a/an: Atheist

Postby Bill Hopkins on 06 Aug 2011 11:42 pm

Wandering around the Forum again, I found this thread.
Great topic!
My answer, of course, is yes. Have been one for half a century or so. But, I've found a great place here, and many new friends.
However, I bet that all the very young members will be willing to explain how the Internet was important to shaping their non-belief.
So, I bring thee back to life, thread!
Now that Pahu has been run off, I've lost my main reason to post!
Bill Hopkins
Too Friendly?

Location: Upper Connecticut River Valley in New Hampshire, USA.
I am a/an: Humanist - Agnostic

Postby RamblingSyd on 07 Aug 2011 5:09 am

I was an atheist for several decades before I got broadband internet and was able to discover atheist forums. They haven't made me more strongly atheistic than I was - that would scarcely be possible - but I've had a lot of good discussion and learned useful facts and arguments. Nice, too, to find that others have views which one had developed independently. It's also fun.
I fear I will not live to see the next logical development: a really powerful, unified anti-religious organisation based on the net.
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi
RamblingSyd
Friendly Regular

Postby Helena on 08 Aug 2011 12:42 am

Yeah, but I wouldn't enjoy it as much
Helena
Friendly Newbie

Postby Bill Hopkins on 08 Aug 2011 12:53 am

WELCOME, HELENA! :)

When you are ready, introduce yourself! Until then, enjoy wandering around the Forum.
Now that Pahu has been run off, I've lost my main reason to post!
Bill Hopkins
Too Friendly?

Location: Upper Connecticut River Valley in New Hampshire, USA.
I am a/an: Humanist - Agnostic

Postby Kiwibird on 08 Aug 2011 2:00 am

Finding sites like this has certainly assisted my comfort level with my atheism, and provided much more "ammunition" for atheism than I would have ever thought of myself.
Kiwibird
Friendly Acquaintance

Postby ARationalThinker on 08 Aug 2011 9:57 am

In terms of the fundamental view required to reach my atheistic view, I would say that the Internet has not provided the point where I said to myself, "Oh hey, I'm an atheist." However, it has allowed me to branch out to others and has allowed to me to ponder many subjects. (YouTube debates are endless and always addictive, which seems to take up too much of my time!)
RamblingSyd wrote:Personally I think that god was not a bad guy, but he was too deep into S&M and bondage. He should have realised that not everybody is turned on by such stuff.
ARationalThinker
Friendly Regular

Postby godistwaddle on 08 Aug 2011 10:56 am

When I became an atheist, we didn't have color T.V. or "in god we trust" on our paper money. The interwebs? Pshaw!!
"The death of a child is never really to be regretted, considering how much he has escaped." (Thomas Hardy)
godistwaddle
Friendly Regular

Postby Retzoul on 09 Aug 2011 12:44 pm

I wasn't aware of atheism for a long time, never heard of it until I had steady access to the internet.
I bounced between agnosticism and a multi-path approach to a deity for a long time. It wasn't until actually got involved in religious discussions online that I found I was more of an atheist.

I feel I would have gotten to where I was an atheist eventually, but the internet certainly sped me along that path.
Retzoul
Friendly Regular

Postby Huxley on 10 Aug 2011 7:16 am

I should have added that without the internet, my atheism would have elicited about as much discussion as the fact I am carnivorous. Its not even discussed in my family let alone in a public forum. I think that's a British thing FWIW.
Huxley
Too Friendly?

Postby biogirl on 10 Aug 2011 10:37 am

Absolutely I would be an atheist without the internet. I'd probably be a lonely, insecure and uncertain one, but I'd be one all the same. I'll probably be the last generation who actually remembers a time before the internet, but in either case I absolutely would have come to the same conclusions I did without the aid of the interwebs.
"Astronomers do it with averted vision."
biogirl
Friendly Old-Timer

I am a/an: Humanist - Atheist

Postby tpr007 on 15 Aug 2011 11:13 am

I was an atheist before I had access to the internet!

The internet is an invaluable resource though. Without it I would not have read as much of Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris, or been made aware that so many people across the globe suffered in the name of religion far more than I do even in the 21st century.

The internet is a great tool, but let's not forget that people also use to it recruit, misinform, and proselytize their harmful beliefs.
tpr007
Friendly Acquaintance

I am a/an: Humanist - Atheist

Postby pcuser on 26 Aug 2011 8:22 pm

I am an atheist since I was a teenager.Internet didn't exist at that time.So internet isn't the reason why I'm an atheist
pcuser
Friendly Newbie

Next

Return to Questions for Atheists