[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 918: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 918: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Friendly Atheist Forums • View topic - Mom's Apple Pie

Mom's Apple Pie

Non religious discussions and general conversations.

Mom's Apple Pie

Postby hoverFrog on 16 Oct 2011 3:39 am

Following on from Bill's Recipe's thread I have a challenge for you. It is apple season and I've accumulated a huge amount of apples from various trees including a bucket of Gascoyne's Scarlet which are eating apples.

Most of the readers and contributors to the forums are from the US. As everybody knows the US is the land of apple pie. Could you share your apple pie recipes here. Maybe we could make them ourselves and rate them.
"Religious freedom should work two ways: we should be free to practice the religion of our choice, but we must also be free from having someone else's religion practiced on us." -John Irving, novelist (b. 1942)
hoverFrog
Friendly Moderator

I am a/an: Agnostic Atheist

Re: Mom's Apple Pie

Postby Heidela on 16 Oct 2011 10:07 am

You are soooo on
And boy do I have a homecourt advantage :)

I think pictures would totally be wonderful

but I have to figure out how from my Ipad (help?)

I hope folks do this apple pie is amazing!
Heidela
Friendly Regular

I am a/an: Atheist

Postby ReasonableRob on 16 Oct 2011 12:24 pm

Have you considered making cider?
"Is the pious loved by the gods because it is pious, or is it pious because it is loved by the gods?", "By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."- Socrates
ReasonableRob
Friendly Old-Timer

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby hoverFrog on 16 Oct 2011 4:56 pm

ReasonableRob wrote:Have you considered making cider?
I'm helping this year. A friend has about 15 litres so far and enough apples to triple it.
"Religious freedom should work two ways: we should be free to practice the religion of our choice, but we must also be free from having someone else's religion practiced on us." -John Irving, novelist (b. 1942)
hoverFrog
Friendly Moderator

Postby Heidela on 20 Oct 2011 7:09 am

Ok I found an onlinr recipe that is very close to what I make but actually precise. I made this yesterday and it was 100% thumbs up
http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/20 ... ddar-crust

A crumbly slab of Cheddar is a centuries-old accompaniment to a slice of apple pie; it imparts character in a way that a scoop of ice cream can’t hope to match. Adding grated cheese to the crust tweaks the tradition, thus bringing an iconic dessert full circle. View more of our favorite recipes from this issue.
FOR PASTRY
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 lb extra-sharp cheddar (preferably white), coarsely grated (2 1/2 cups)
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening (trans-fat-free), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
1 tablespoon milk
FOR FILLING
1 1/2 lb Gala apples (3 medium)
1 1/2 lb Granny Smith apples (3 medium)
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
MAKE PASTRY DOUGH:
Stir together flour, salt, and cheese in a large bowl (or pulse in a food processor). Add butter and shortening and blend with your fingertips or a pastry blender (or pulse) just until mixture resembles coarse meal with some roughly pea-size butter lumps. Drizzle 6 Tbsp ice water evenly over mixture and gently stir with a fork (or pulse) until incorporated.
Squeeze a small handful: If dough doesn’t hold together, add more ice water, 1 Tbsp at a time, stirring (or pulsing) until incorporated. Do not overwork dough or pastry will be tough.
Turn out dough onto a work surface and divide in half, then form each half into a 5-inch disk. Chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, at least 1 hour.
MAKE FILLING AND BAKE PIE:
Put a foil-lined large baking sheet in middle of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
Peel and core apples, then slice 1/4 inch thick. Toss apples with sugar, flour, lemon juice, and salt until evenly coated.
Roll out 1 piece of dough (keep remaining disk chilled) on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Roll out remaining piece of dough into an 11-inch round.
Transfer filling to shell. Dot with butter, then cover with pastry round. Trim edges, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Press edges together to seal, then fold under. Lightly brush top crust with milk, then cut 5 (1-inch-long) vents.
Bake on hot baking sheet 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 375°F and bake until crust is golden-brown and filling is bubbling, about 40 minutes more. Cool to warm or room temperature, 2 to 3 hours.
COOKS’ NOTE: Dough can be chilled up to 2 days or frozen up to 3 months.

The difference is
I do not like granny smith apples at all so mix and match apples of choice and I grate one or two of the apples as well as slice them
Also I bake this pie in a heavy oven proof skillet it makes an amazingly yummy difference!
Other than that the recipe is one I have made for years and works perfectly for a change fron the usual cinnamon,cloves ect
Heidela
Friendly Regular

Postby Heidela on 20 Oct 2011 7:11 am

How about drying them?
Heidela
Friendly Regular

Postby hoverFrog on 24 Oct 2011 10:33 am

Heidela, we had your apple pie last night after our Sunday dinner. The general verdict was that the pastry was far too cheesy and that it distracted from the apple flavours. The lovely Hil said that it was like cheese straws rather than pastry. Not that we don't like cheese straws but the contrast was too much. I must say that the apples inside were done really well and maintained their texture and flavours rather than falling apart into a mush as normally happens when I use my usual recipe. I know you said that this was a change from the cinnamon and cloves but that was what was missing.

I have leftovers to finish off tonight. I'd love to hear what anyone else thought of your recipe.
hoverFrog
Friendly Moderator

Postby Heidela on 24 Oct 2011 9:04 pm

Glad you tried it. For the reasons you unhappy are the exact reasons I love that pie!

So here is what you do to get a traditional American Apple pie
Leave off the cheese
For the pastry use chilled lard half and half with butter ( you can use crisco or something like that )
Increase the fat by 1/4 cup keep pastry the same otherwise
Make the filling just the same but add
1tsp fresh ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp fresh ground allspice berries
Optionally you can use pinches of ground cloves, ground ginger, grated nutmeg

But really cinnamon and allspice are what my East Coast childhood smelled like with apples

Everything else the same!

And even then I would cut a piece warm and put a big piece of cheddar on top :D
Heidela
Friendly Regular

Return to The Lounge