[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 918: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 918: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Friendly Atheist Forums • View topic - Dutch Christian naturists forced to cancel naked mass

Dutch Christian naturists forced to cancel naked mass

Dutch Christian naturists forced to cancel naked mass

Postby hoverFrog on 06 Oct 2008 7:13 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -mass.html

A church service for Dutch Christian naturists has been cancelled this weekend after hostile reactions from other, more conventional, worshippers.

Naked celebrants abandoned plans to hold a second service after media coverage of their first mass, held in a nudist park during the summer, led to a flood of threatening phone calls and emails from more orthodox Christians.

"I don't understand what all the fuss is about," said a spokesman for the Gan Eden or Garden of Eden group.

"We are just a group of Christians and we want to hold a church service."

The Dutch naturist Christians, part of a global movement, held their first service in June, when a clothed priest presided over a nude congregation of 80 people in Zeewolde, a town in the Flevoland region of the Netherlands.

But such was the barrage of hostile public opinion, the second religious event was cancelled and Gan Eden's website shut down.

"Because of the negative publicity and the lurid curses in the guest book we have been obliged to close the site temporarily," says the group's website.

"It is a problem that this proves be necessary in a country which calls itself tolerant."

Christian naturists take the tale of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden as the model for their beliefs and ceremonies.

When God created man and woman, Adam and Eve were both naked and "felt no shame", according to the Bible.

The naturists believe that as humanity's first couple were blameless and as the Bible places no requirements to wear clothing then there is no reason for Christians to be ashamed of their naked bodies.
It appears that some Christians are just prudes. Who could have guessed?

I can guess that the lurid curses came more from Christians than from atheists. They seem to get very excited about people acting in ways that are contradictory to their views but generally harmless.
"Religious freedom should work two ways: we should be free to practice the religion of our choice, but we must also be free from having someone else's religion practiced on us." -John Irving, novelist (b. 1942)
hoverFrog
Friendly Moderator

I am a/an: Agnostic Atheist

Re: Dutch Christian naturists forced to cancel naked mass

Postby JulietEcho on 06 Oct 2008 12:36 pm

Ha! Great find.
"...with like-minded people one cannot discuss. With like-minded people one can only participate in a church service, and, as is widely known, I do not like church services." -Ayaan Hirsi Ali
JulietEcho
Retired Moderator

Re: Dutch Christian naturists forced to cancel naked mass

Postby happycynic on 06 Oct 2008 6:29 pm

gotta say, that whole thing about naked and blameless makes a lot more sense than most of the bible. it almost seems tame compared to talking donkeys and whale-belly hiatuses.
"Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful, without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

--Douglas Adams
happycynic
Too Friendly?

Return to In the News