[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 918: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 918: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Friendly Atheist Forums • View topic - Burn the Koran men arrested.

Burn the Koran men arrested.

Burn the Koran men arrested.

Postby hoverFrog on 24 Sep 2010 5:08 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... atred.html

The men, all but one of them members of the far-right English Defence League, set fire to what appears to be the Muslim holy books on the anniversary of the 9/11 atrocities in the United States.
Police visited The Bugle last Wednesday after the video was posted online and two men were arrested on suspicion of stirring racial hatred. They have since been released on bail.
He added that the men were not arrested for watching or distributing the video, but on suspicion of burning the Koran.
The incident follows tensions in America after an extremist Florida pastor threatened to burn 200 copies of the Koran on the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York.
Under the UK's pecular laws it is a criminal offence to incite racial hatred.

This offence refers to:
  • deliberately provoking hatred of a racial group
  • distributing racist material to the public
  • making inflammatory public speeches
  • creating racist websites on the Internet
  • inciting inflammatory rumours about an individual or an ethnic group, for the purpose of spreading racial discontent.

This is something that I believe should be protected under our right to free speech. As I said to the lovely Hil over our morning tea and crumpets: free speech protects the rights of people to act like arseholes as much as it protects the rights of others to point out that they are arseholes. If a bunch of Gateshead chavs want to set fire to a book then they should be allowed to. They are stupid and ignorant to do so but we should let people be stupid and ignorant in this country. In fact we should be proud of it. :oops:

That said I wonder if we could arrest the Pope for making inflammatory speeches...
"Religious freedom should work two ways: we should be free to practice the religion of our choice, but we must also be free from having someone else's religion practiced on us." -John Irving, novelist (b. 1942)
hoverFrog
Friendly Moderator

I am a/an: Agnostic Atheist

Re: Burn the Koran men arrested.

Postby Neon Genesis on 24 Sep 2010 7:31 am

Wasn't Dawkins going to arrest the pope when he came to the UK?
Neon Genesis
Too Friendly?

I am a/an: Atheist

Postby jar on 24 Sep 2010 11:03 am

It is not the speech we approve of that needs protecting.
How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar
jar
Too Friendly?

I am a/an: Christian - Protestant

Postby vxbinaca on 27 Sep 2010 5:40 am

arrested on suspicion of stirring racial hatred.

Uhm, since when have Muslims been a race? Since Jews were categorized as a race? I though those things were religions.

I'd be worried about y'alls liable laws as well.
vxbinaca
Friendly Regular

Postby Sackbut on 27 Sep 2010 8:18 am

vxbinaca wrote:Uhm, since when have Muslims been a race? Since Jews were categorized as a race? I though those things were religions.

Yeah, that's the most bizarre aspect of this case. It has been remarked upon in several blogs that I read.

The situation with Muslims is significantly different from that of Jews. Muslims do actively proselytize, and there are those who advocate worldwide Islam. I am not aware of Muslims thinking of themselves as a race, although it is possible that people from predominantly-Muslim countries may conflate slights against themselves as a people with slights against their religion. Jews, on the other hand, do not proselytize, and the more orthodox sects are not at all welcoming of converts. Jews very frequently conflate ethnicity and religion; they do think of themselves as a people, albeit a people who are all somehow obliged by the facts of their ancestry to follow a particular religion.

I'd be worried about y'alls liable laws as well.

I agree. It's troubling that a factually true statement can be considered libel. Hopefully the Simon Singh case will lead eventually to libel reform in the UK.
You know what common sense is, don't you? It's the human faculty that tells us the world is flat.
-- Victor Stenger
Sackbut
Friendly Moderator

Postby vxbinaca on 27 Sep 2010 9:18 am

Maybe it's just because we're American and don't get it, Sackbut. Like in the UK, "anti-social" a synonym for violence while here it means people who don't like to be around other people, kind of like Goth kids in the 90's. They seem to equate 'social' with 'order', and race with religion. Confusing indeed.
vxbinaca
Friendly Regular

Return to In the News